This time you will start your plants the same way you have before. When it is time to put them under lights the instructions will change. Instead of using empty weighted 5x5s you can choose to stack the plants that are already growing on top of your seeds. Or, you can just use humidity domes and not stack for the germination phase. Just be sure they are blocked from light for the first 2 days.
You will need:
- 4 – 5×5 microgreen trays
- Coco coir (from the block you re-hydrated)
- 1020 Tray
- 1020 Humidity Dome
- 2 – 5×5 Humidity Domes
- 1/2 teaspoon radish seeds
- Spray bottle
Now let’s get started
- Place the 5×5 tray inside the solid bottom 1020 tray. Fill the 5 x 5 tray with 1 inch of coco coir. The tray is 2.5 inches tall.
- Use an empty 5×5 tray to press the surface of the coco coir flat.
- Spray the coco coir to moisten it. Be careful, don’t add too much water. If puddles are forming, you’ve added too much.
- Scatter 1/2 teaspoon (7.5 grams) of radish seeds in the trays.
- Spray the seeds with water. Place an empty 5×5 on top of the seeds to keep them covered for two days, then take it off. Germination is often improved by putting a weight in the empty 5×5. Keep the coco coir evenly moist while the seeds germinate by placing the 1020 humidity dome over the 5×5 microgreen trays.
- On day 3 when you unstack the trays, place the 5×5 humidity domes on top with the vents closed for another day or two to give your plants the best chance of survival. The vents can then be opened or removed depending on how hot and humid your growing area is.
- Leave your trays on your desk. This experiment will have the grow lights off for the first two days. On day 3 when you unstack you will turn on the grow light above the humidity domes.
Check everyday to make sure the seeds and media are moist. Give them a couple of sprays of water if needed.